Chocolate brownies with a layer of vanilla cheesecake running through the centre – sound good? They are! I was looking to make red velvet brownies in honour of Liverpool winning the Premiership for the first time in 30 years but the red colour did not show at all. However, the taste was simply too good not to post about.
I follow Jane’s Patisserie on instagram and saw these delightful red velvet brownies with a recipe – for which the link is at the end of the post. The idea of a cheesecake centre for brownies sounded amazing so I had to give it a go. I have used her recipe but have changed the timings and left out the colouring
Whenever I follow a brownie recipe, they always tend to be too runny in the middle when I take them out of the oven. So I usually end up cooking them for longer but carry the risk of them being overcooked. So with this recipe, I decided to cook them for only slightly longer then proceeded to chill them in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I was greeted with the perfect brownie texture which was worth the wait.
Approximately: 20 mins preparation time, 35 minutes baking time, 1 hour cooling time & Leave in fridge overnight
- Brownie Mix
- 150g Butter
- 275g Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Medium Eggs/ 3 Large Eggs
- 30g Cocoa Powder
- 125g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- Cheesecake Swirl
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg Yolk
Step 1: Preheat oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 (Fan 160C/338F/Gas Mark 3) and prepare a square 9inc x 9inc lined baking tray.
Step 2: Cream the butter and sugar together.
Step 3: Add an egg into the mix and beat until well incorporated, then repeat for the remaining eggs. Finish by adding the vanilla extract and mixing again.
Step 4: Sift the flour and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl then fold this into the wet mixture.
Step 5: Add a tablespoon of white vinegar and mix gently to avoid overmixing.
Step 6: Beat the cream cheese, vanilla extract and sugar together until nice and smooth. Now add the egg yolk in and beat again.
Step 7: Pour 80% of the chocolate brownie mix into the baking tray then add all of the cheesecake mix on top to cover as much as possible. Finally pour the remaining 20% of the brownie mix on top.
Step 8: Bake for 35-40 minutes, leave to cool sufficiently before placing in the fridge overnight.
Notes: Really do make sure you cool them down completely and resist the urge to eat them straight away. When they set in the fridge overnight, you’ll get a much better texture and taste.
The brownies will be really gooey in the centre when you take them out of the oven so don’t worry – it needs time to set as it cools down. If you really think they are too runny in the centre, give them another 5 minutes in the oven but nothing more!
Jane’s Patisserie Red Velvet Brownies: https://www.janespatisserie.com/2019/10/12/red-velvet-brownies/